Saturday, August 22, 2015

Iceland Day 1 - Southwest Iceland

After 15 hours of flying and layovers, I have arrived in Iceland!  I flew into Keflavik with a 4 hour time difference, having only 2 hours of sleep and zero time to waste. I snagged up my petite rental hatchback from the airport and was off on my first exploration. 

First thing I had to accept when planning my Iceland trip: I would not be able to pronounce anything... So don't be discouraged, I sound like an idiot too. 

I drove along the North Atlantic coast from Grindavik to Strandarkirkja where roads were lined with cliffs for as far as I could see. 


I detoured towards Krysuvik where I stopped to admire the stunning turquoise water of Lake Grænavatn, an old explosion crater surrounded by mountains and lava fields. 

 
Continuing, I saw steam rising just around the bend from Seltun Hot Springs, my first geothermal vents in Iceland (and definitely not my last)! 



Pretty... Stinky!  I explored a bit more throughout the Kleifarvatn territory, climbing cliffs and checking out the scenery before heading to the capital, Reykavik. 

I found my backpackers with ease (thank God for GPS! I definitely recommend getting a car with GPS installed if you rent, especially if you plan on going off the beaten path or if you're directionally challenged like me).  I stayed at Hlemmur Square in a 14 person dorm on the third floor in the heart of the city.  From the reviews I could tell it was going to be a comfortable stay but I did not expect for it to be as nice as it was! In my travels, 6+ dorms are usually cramped or busy busy but Hlemmur Square was extremely spacious and super clean (happiness). 

I met two lads in my dorm, Däniel from Austria and Andy from Germany who had met the week prior and had been traveling the Ring Road with 2 Aussie gals.  Hungout with the lot of them all night and they shared their stories with me, informing me of their favorite places and where I should definitely go! 

Looking forward to Day 2 ---> to the Westfjords!






No comments:

Post a Comment