Saturday, August 22, 2015

Iceland Day 2 - Up the West Coast

I was planning on driving the Ring Road, Highway 1, around the whole country of Iceland but decided I'd improvise a bit and go off the beaten track. 

Waking up early from my backpackers, I bid farewell to my new friends and headed out to drive the 7 hours to the westernmost tip of not only Iceland, but of Europe- Làtrabjarg. This is not part of the Ring Road but when I heard what the Westfjords had to offer, I couldn't resist. 

It is really hard not to stop every 5 minutes to take a picture here in Iceland... Especially when you have something new like this around every bend... 



Weaving and winding around the fjords was breathtaking, each offering something new to gape over. 



One way bridges, dirt roads to clay roads to gravel roads lined the Southwest Peninsulas for miles on end, all overlooking the bluest water you've ever seen..  It was extremely hard to keep my eyes on the road but I managed to arrive in Látrabjarg, alive, about 3 hours before nightfall.  And by nightfall I mean 11pm... Yes, it does not get dark until 11pm during this time of year! 

So a little bit of history about Látrabjarg... The Látrabjarg Peninsula is known for its bird cliffs, a summer home to gulls, razorbills, guillemots, cormorants, kizziwakes, fulmars, and puffins.. YES PUFFINS. These cliffs extend for 12km along the coast with heights up to 400m!

I did not expect to see any puffins because this is the season they begin to migrate from the Fjords.  I trekked up the stony path to what felt like the end of the Earth, and was flabbergasted by what I saw...
 


Endless cliffs filled with hundreds upon hundreds of birds!  I could have died happy here (don't worry I didn't get tooooo close to the edge ;) ), but from the corner of my eye I saw something orange and white popping up and down along the cliff's edge... 

 
A PUFFIN!  This guy was mad chillin on the ledge with a couple of his mates. There are a lot of things I get emotional over but I have to admit this has to be in the top 5 for most amazing experiences. I stuck around and flirted with him a bit before I continued the path to the very top of the cliffs. 


I'm just gonna let you take that one in like I did... 😻 no words. 

I finished the trek and headed back down to set up camp on the beach.  Oh, in case you were wondering where all the people are... Pretty sure I saw a total of 10 cars when I entered deep into the Fjords. This place is pretty secluded when you get out of the major towns... Zero complaints... Just my tent and me on the beach for the night! 


...and blankets, lots of warm stuff to bundle up in.... It was 30 degrees! 🙀

Next stop, taking the ferry from Brjándlækur to Stykkishólmur and on to Snæfellsjökull Glacier!

No comments:

Post a Comment